Saturday 11 April 2015

Skype is the limit

Are you on WhatsApp?

With the advancement of technology, the world has become a global village. People have come closer as you can virtually meet people living in a distant place anytime, anywhere, and that too for free. Thanks to Apps like WhatsApp and Skype, no distance has remained a distance between two persons.

But this is not the whole truth. No technology can bridge the distance between a mother and her daughter. I realised this during the past few days as my mother has gone to India to see her ailing mother.

I could not accompany her, as I have to attend school. Since this was the first time she had left me alone with my father, I was a bit nervous. I was confident that I would be accompanying her virtually with the help of modern gadgets. I was wrong. 

However, it has helped me realise the importance of mother. Mother is only a six-letter word but it has a very broad meaning. It defines eternal love. Without mother, we are nothing. Mothers are God’s gift to us. We should take good care of that special present.

These electronic gadgets have made it easy to talk to my mother yet the closeness is missing. I miss the way my mother advised me before taking every step. I miss the delicious dishes she used to prepare just for me. I miss her when I wake up early in the morning for school, as she used to get up much early to help me get ready for school. Even after coming back from school, I used to find her there for me.

I just wonder how she manages each and every household chore without any complaint. She surely is a super-woman, because despite everything, she keeps smiling. I miss it all. It is difficult to see her heart-warming smile through a phone. These devices cannot transmit the warmth and affection that I am habituated to receiving every now and then.

I have realised not to rely too much on technology.

(Published in The Gulf Today on April 11, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment