Saturday 18 May 2013

Beware of nosey parkers


 “Don’t poke your nose,” every child is taught. Yet, many people have the habit of interfering in others’ affairs.

It is irritating indeed when someone interferes while you are having a serious discussion with your friends. It spoils your mood. Such people keep interfering without realising that they become the laughing stock.

Recently, I was talking to my friends about famous Pakistani cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan.

“But Imran Khan also met with an accident and was hurt badly,” said my friend.

Just then, my cousin joined in and said, “Are you sure? He played with me yesterday. He was alright till then.”

Surprised, we asked him, “How can it be, he retired 20 years ago?”

“He is not even 15. How can he retire?” said my cousin.

“Which Imran Khan are you talking about?”

“My friend. He loves cricket and insists I play with him,” he said.

We were baffled. We informed him that we were talking about the famous Pakistani cricketer. But we were not in a mood to continue the discussion anymore.

On another occasion, we were discussing the movie, The Hurricane.  The moment my friend said, “It was awesome. The stunts were terrific in The Hurricane, my cousin jumped in.

“Are you all mad? Hurricane is a disaster. Don’t you know? And you like it? You like something that harms others?” he asked.

All of us started laughing.

And, how can I forget my neighbour, Sachin! He always interrupted and used to disturb us. Without even thinking for a moment about the topic being discussed, he would ask, “What? Where?”

His habit of interfering became so irritating that we named him “What? Where?

(Published in The Gulf Today on May 18, 2013)

1 comment: