Saturday 18 May 2013

Celebrity interaction


Meeting a famous person, who is also your idol, is like a dream come true. Thanks to the Sharjah Children’s Reading Festival, I got the opportunity to meet eminent Indian author Chetan Bhagat. I am glad that I not only attended his lecture, but also interacted with him, took his autograph and captured those moments on camera.

Everyone, including me, was fascinated to see him entering the auditorium. It was the awaited moment. My joy was out of the world on seeing him. I felt happy, proud and lucky that I am a resident of Sharjah because not many people get the chance to have even a glimpse of this famous writer.

He was here to give a talk on “Challenges and Happiness.” He began by asking, “What makes us happy?”

Everyone replied, “Success makes us happy.”

After the talk finished, I asked him, “Uncle, are you writing any books for children?”

Perhaps it was a surprise for him. He asked, “How old are you?”

When I mentioned my age, he replied, “I must salute you for your confidence. So young but you have the confidence to ask questions.”

“Well, maybe one day I will write for children, but till then you won’t be a child. It is very difficult to write for children. You have to be a butcher to cut each word,” he added.

When he had started the talk, little did I realise what he wanted to say. But by now, I had got his point.

I was happy that I took a challenge and asked him a question. Later, I ran after him to get his autograph. I was glad, I didn’t only get his autograph, but also got a big compliment from him, which is an asset for me and will continue to inspire me throughout my life.

(Published in The Gulf Today on May 11, 2013)

1 comment: