Saturday 11 January 2014

Watch out for ...

Since 2013 was a wonderful year for me, I welcomed the New Year with high expectations. With hope that the year 2014 will bring me even better opportunities, I joined my relatives in the New Year celebration.

As the fireworks started to mark the arrival of 2014, I got surprised. There were many beautiful New Year gifts for me. But my favourite among them was the charming watch from my parents. I liked it a lot. It was also important because I know nothing is more precious than time. I was so pleased with it that I wore it right there and didn’t take it out even when I went to bed.

And then we stepped ahead into the time. Next morning, we came together again as we were going for the picnic which was organised as a part of the New Year celebration. My cousins and I went all the way enjoying the trip to the picnic spot in the desert. We had a lot of fun.

As the day kept advancing ahead, we got more and more immersed into the activities. It was an amazing day.

As I woke up the next day, and went to wear my beautiful watch, I found it missing. I searched each and every corner of the house but couldn’t find it. My favourite gift was lost. I realised that it must have fallen in the desert while playing. I felt sad. My happiness was short-lived.

But I realised that although the watch is gone, it has taught me a wonderful lesson — we must watch out for our belongings, our acts and our words too.

(Published in The Gulf Today on January 1, 2014)  

1 comment: