Tuesday 31 December 2013

Fruitful year

It is difficult to say goodbye. But we do not have control over time. Thus the moment has come to bid goodbye to the beautiful year 2013 and give a warm welcome to the year 2014.

As I look back, I feel satisfied. It was a fulfilling year for me. This year brought me good learning opportunities as well as fun-filled activities.

The year began with the wonderful trip to Fujairah and coastal areas of Sharjah. I learnt about the Emirati traditions and the efforts made by the government to preserve the heritage. This trip was a mixture of thrill, excitement and learning experience.

Another breathtaking moment came when I toured Sharjah on a seaplane. It was awesome. I had a bird’s eye view of Sharjah’s landmarks as the seaplane flew at a relatively low height. I also got a chance to have a closer look at Sharjah’s landmarks from a different angle when I joined thousands of people in the National Day Maritime Parade.

The year will always remain special to me because I got the opportunity to meet three internationally acclaimed personalities. Each of them is an icon in his chosen field.

Meeting the famous Indian author Chetan Bhagat was a thrilling experience. Since I love to read and write, he inspired me a lot. He was kind enough to not only share a few tips on writing but also gave his autograph and posed with me for a photo, which is an asset for me.

An evening with the King of Ghazals Ghulam Ali was like a dream come true. Classical Urdu poetry in his mellifluous voice has been favourite of my father and grandfather, who is a well-known poet in India. What inspired me most was his undiminished energy and vigour. Despite being in his seventies, he kept on singing for hours.

Another lifetime opportunity came to me when I met the former President of India APJ Abdul Kalam, popularly known as the Missile Man of India. I was floored by his humbleness. I was among the few fortunate people who attended the seminar where he shared a few writing tips, which I hope will improve my skills.

I know I can’t go back to those times again. But hope the coming year will be full of better opportunities.

Happy New Year!

(Published in The Gulf Today on December 28, 2013)     

1 comment: