Saturday 15 February 2014

‘Promotion’ or ‘commotion’?

Since Dubai is home to people of about 190 countries, it is common to find people speaking in different languages, all in their unique accent. Although English is the common language, sometimes an unfamiliar accent makes conversation difficult over the phone. At times it even leads to misunderstandings.

I realised this yesterday when I got a call from my cousin.

Recently she had received a phone call from a newly-opened restaurant in her neighbourhood.

“There is a ‘commotion’ going on in our restaurant,” said the caller.

My sister was confused as what would her father do if there is a commotion. Later, her father clarified that the caller wanted to inform about a ‘promotion’ and not a ‘commotion.’

This made me recall a similar confusion my friend once had. Once a friend phoned me and said, “My new neighbour is very charming. When she came to meet us, I just kept ‘boring’ her.”

I was surprised. Later, she clarified, “I kept ‘adoring’ her and not ‘boring’ her.”

As we had a hearty laugh at the confusion, she shared a similar experience she had gone through.

Once she visited a new store to avail of a big promotion. But she turned back from its entrance when she heard a few people saying that the shop had ‘useless stuff.’

During her next visit to the store she found amazing collections but poor service. She then realised that they were talking about ‘useless staff’.

(Published in The Gulf Today on January 25, 2014)

1 comment:

  1. a funny one.......ur articles ve always been wonderful

    ReplyDelete