Saturday 15 February 2014

Proud moments

Two days in the calendar are of utmost importance for every Indian – Independence Day on Aug.15 and Republic Day on Jan.26. These two days see every Indian heart swell with patriotism , joy and enthusiasm.

Several times I had watched India’s Republic Day Parade live on TV. It was quite thrilling to see the Indian armed forces battalions marching all the way on Raj Path in New Delhi. Whether old or young, everyone celebrates it with great pomp and joy while wishing each other peace, prosperity and progress.

Later, when I joined the Indian High School, Dubai, I was thrilled to see that the Republic Day parade and cultural programmes are also organised at the school. Although it was held on a much smaller scale, it had a similar effect as it used to fill us all with great pride.

I was elated when I got selected to participate in the school’s Republic Day programme this year. I felt a very strong spirit of nationalism while performing on the Republic Day.

One thing that pleased me the most was that although we were so far from our dear nation, I didn’t feel so. Instead, I felt that I was performing in India itself. I had a wonderful experience while practising. We all were very enthusiastic about it. Neither the harsh sun nor the cold weather could affect our spirit, excitement and thrill.

Someone has rightly said, “You can take an Indian out of India, but you can never take India out of an Indian.”

(Published in The Gulf Today on February 8, 2014)

1 comment:

  1. that's true -- You can take an Indian out of India, but you can never take India out of an Indian

    ReplyDelete