Friday 10 October 2014

Evergreen writings

“What’s in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet,” so true was this famous quote of William Shakespeare, the greatest litterateur of the English language.

Shakespeare is the greatest poet, dramatist and playwright of the English literature which makes me a great fan of him. Many dialogues and phrases from Shakespeare’s plays and poems have become part of our day-to-day life. His great understanding of human nature is another reason of him being my favourite. He was baptised on 26 April, the month I share for my birthday.

You must be wondering why am I talking about Shakespeare all of a sudden?

No prize for guessing it right.

I decided to recall this great dramatist and his work because of the immense interest generated by an upcoming Hindi film, Haider, which is based on the famous play Hamlet.

The movie is directed by Vishal Bhardwaj, who has adapted the play and presented it in the Indian context. I have read the story of Hamlet so many times that it has made me curious about the film. I am eagerly waiting for the release of the film to know whether it does justice to the play or not. While watching the trailer and listening to the songs, I keep comparing it with the original one.

I am quite hopeful, because this is not the only movie made by Vishal Bhardwaj based on Shakespeare’s plays. Haider will complete the trilogy of films made by this illustrious filmmaker based on Shakespeare’s plays. The other two movies — Maqbool adapted from Macbeth and Omkara, story of Othello — have been blockbusters starring Irrfan Khan and Ajay Devgan respectively.

I am sure that Shakespeare would have been proud if he had been alive. More so, because Vishal Bhardwaj’s these three films are expected to be published as books too.

Besides, the famous play Romeo and Juliet has also provided an easy plot to many Indian filmmakers who have made many hit films based on it, be it Aamir Khan-starrer  Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak, Salman Khan-starrer Sanam Bewafa, or the recent blockbuster Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela.

Be it a film, a short story or the original works, I am sure Shakespeare’s evergreen writings will continue to entertain everyone, for generations.

(Published in The Gulf Today on September 20, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment