Monday 15 April 2013

Mind your language


Computers have made our lives easy. People say that even the minor mistakes that may elude human eyes can’t go unchecked by this man-made machine. But I have noticed many mistakes which not only escaped careful human eyes but also passed through the mighty machine. Some of those mistakes were hilarious, I couldn’t stop myself from sharing them with you.

Once, I was going through the pages of a newspaper when I noticed a very surprising job-title – “By Our Chef Reporter” — written below the headline. I was confused and consulted my father. 

I asked, “Can you describe the designation of Chef Reporter?” He started laughing and I got more curious. Later, he told me it must be a spelling mistake.

This mistake had made the “Chief Reporter” a “Chef Reporter.”

On another occasion, I was going through the weather forecast in a newspaper. I suddenly spotted that it had been printed, “The son will rise early tomorrow.”

It baffled me as why should someone should announce in the newspaper that his son will wake up early the next day. Later, I realised that they wanted to write, “The sun will rise early tomorrow.”

Recently, I got puzzled when one of my cousins sent me an email. He wrote that he lost his favourite watch in the “Dessert.”

I kept thinking what he meant by that as the watch can fall on the dish but how can he lose it. The next day when he visited us, he explained, “Recently, we had gone for Desert Safari and I lost my watch there.” 

I realised that we should be careful not only with our works but also with our words.

(Published in The Gulf Today on March 30, 2013)

1 comment: