Sunday 24 March 2013

Puzzling perceptions



Certain occupations are so much associated with their workplaces that they seem to be inseparable and any change astounds us.

Like, we don’t need to ask a doctor where s/he works, as it is clear that a doctor works for a hospital. So when we meet a doctor we automatically ask him/her which hospital s/he works for. It is similar with other professions like an engineer, an architect, and others.

But recently I was surprised when we had a guest who was a doctor by profession. I asked him, “Uncle, which hospital do you work for?”

He burst into laughter along with my father. He replied, “I work for a college, not for a hospital.”

I was taken aback. I got confused what could be the use of a doctor in a college. He explained that he provided medical facilities to the students.

Another puzzling moment was when I met my new classmate, whose father was an engineer. I asked her, “Which company does he work for?”

I was surprised when she replied that her father worked for a school. He helped in constructing new buildings.

An encounter with a lawyer was another hilarious moment. I asked him, “Uncle, which court do you go to — High Court or District Court?” “I work for the Railways,” he replied.

I then remembered the incident when I noticed that many people perceived that an editor only worked for a newspaper or a magazine. I was astonished by this observation because an editor could edit anything like storybooks, novels and dictionary too. It is really hard to change certain perceptions.

(Published in The Gulf Today on March 23, 2013)

1 comment: