Sunday 24 March 2013

What’s in a name?


                                     

While surfing through the Net, I got stuck with William Shakespeare’s often-mentioned quote, “What’s in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.”

I am sure many people would have disagreed with him then, as people still differ with his observation. Many are of the opinion that a name has everything to do with quality while others think that a person’s nature depends on his name.

But I think that Shakespeare was right as I have noticed many people in my surroundings who don’t live up to their name.

I had a classmate whose name was Rice. Everyone found it strange because the rice grain can be easily broken but she was very strong and it was very difficult to persuade her to change her stand.

While writing this, I remember Sweety Aunty, my neighbour who has now shifted to America. I could never understand how she got nicknamed as Sweety, because she was never sweet to the neighbours. She was always ready to fight.

I recently read about a boy named Brian who always said that he was very brainy and he used to write his name as “Brain.” But he didn’t even have a bit of brain. He always used to do something foolish. 

I have also read about a man whose name was Alive, but he was never lively. Whenever he was told something, he would never react. Another character was called Happy, who never looked cheerful whether it was his birthday or his job or any other occasion.

And how can I forget my neighbour Lucky Uncle. I always thought what a wonderful name he has got. I had the impression that he must be very lucky, until I heard his tragic story. As usual, Shakespeare was right once again.


(Published in The Gulf Today on March 9, 2013)

1 comment: