Sunday 24 March 2013

Save Nature


Nature has done a lot for us but still many of us keep damaging it in many ways. We must preserve nature as it provides us with everything which we need for living. I realised the need most during my recent visit to Kalba where an eco-friendly tourism project is being developed.

We stepped out of the bus before a bridge, which connects Kalba town with the protected area. It was a great sight to see clean blue water below the bridge flowing like a river.

When we talk about sea and adventure, it is always about clean beaches, motorboat, jetski, bonfire and barbecue party. Thus when I entered the protected area, I was surprised to see mangrove trees that grow in mud between the sea and land, and transparent seawater enabling us to see marine creatures rarely found on the beaches.

There were many nature-friendly activities arranged for us. Some children took bicycles to explore the area, while many others tried their hand at archery. Boating was another option.

I was scared when it was my turn to get on the boat. I could not row the boat properly as the oar was very heavy, so I just sat quietly and enjoyed the pleasant scenery around. I also saw fish and other sea creatures below the transparent water.

Later, we were informed that the government is developing an eco-friendly tourism project while trying to preserve the natural habitat of the marine creatures.

They have been planting various trees and are planning to bring more marine creatures and birds to make it a popular tourist spot. No apartments or hotels will be built around it.

It was not just a thrilling experience for me but more knowledgeable and an eye-opening trip. I would be happy to play my role in saving nature.

(Published in The Gulf Today on January 19, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment