Sunday 24 March 2013

Strength of confidence


If a person has confidence that he can accomplish a task, he will do it. But if a person has talent without confidence, then even his talent is of no use. I have seen many examples of this.

Like, during the class tests I have heard many of my classmates saying, “O God! I have learnt everything, but I don’t know whether I will write the answers correctly. I am so scared.” And sometime, they really make mistakes.

Similarly, I have heard of one of my uncles who was never confident while going for interviews. Everytime he would say, “Oh! I don’t think I will get the job as many brilliant people will be there.”

I recently watched the movie, Rocket Singh: Salesman of the Year. It was about an ordinary man who became the head of a famous company as he was confident of becoming one.

Recently, our Hindi teacher also told us that if we have confidence in ourselves, we can achieve our goals in life. 

She narrated us her story. She said that she used to get scared when she had to give her exams. When her final exams for Grade 12 were approaching, she was worried. But she recovered her confidence and started preparing for the exam. She was surprised when the result was declared. She had passed with flying colours.

This story inspired us all. We all had many thoughts in our mind. We discussed with each other after listening to the story. One of my classmates said that as the exams are approaching, we will also prepare for it and will give our final exam with full confidence. 

I read an interesting quote by Alfred Tennyson. “Self-reverence, self-knowledge, self-control: These three alone lead life to sovereign power.”

(Published in The Gulf Today on March 2, 2013)

1 comment: