Sunday 24 March 2013

UAE’s cultural beauty



Every place has its unique traditions and cultures. We can find a lot of traditional differences as we travel outside our native place. Born and brought up in the UAE, I have always been interested in knowing the traditional system of the host country. 

I have seen many traditional practices of the UAE. But I always wondered how the Emiratis welcome their guests in the traditional way. Recently, I got that rare chance when I went to Al Ghail Fort, located on a hill in Kalba.

We were welcomed by the Emiratis in a very traditional manner. They welcomed us happily by singing the welcome song, while a few of them were dancing with sticks. That was a moment to relish. Everyone there was enjoying. 

They also offered us the traditional coffee known as Kahva with dates. We were given hot and crispy dosa-like dish called Al-Muhalla to eat which was stuffed with cheese and it was so tasty that everyone was asking for it again and again. 

I got to see the bedouin lifestyle closely. A few of them were sitting nearby and showing the visitors the traditional skills of making ropes and baskets with leaves of palm trees. They said that if dates are kept in those baskets and closed tightly, it will remain fresh even after a year. A few others  showed us how to knit fishing nets.

This trip was a thrilling one and also a learning experience for me because it taught me many things about the bedouin lifestyle. I got to know a lot about the culture of the UAE from this trip. It was highly enlightening. I would love to know more about this country and share with you.


(Published in The Gulf Today on January 26, 2013)

1 comment: