Sunday 24 March 2013

Nature care



The park is a good place to relax, educate, entertain. The greenery soothes our eyes, while rides, swings and slides are the additional advantages. 

I visit the park in my neighbourhood daily. But I enjoy much more nowadays. Not only because my holidays are on, I relish more now as the weather is pleasant and the breeze is more refreshing.

Recently, I have noticed a larger number of people visiting the park. While most of them visit just for fun, many others are seen walking or doing exercises to get a slim body, perhaps taking advantage of the good weather.  

It is always nice to see more people in the park, but the thing I hate is that occasional visitors rarely care about the facilities. They litter the ground, harm plants, pluck flowers.  I have also seen another set of people who keep occupying the rides and exercise machines for long without thinking about others, while many adults occupy facilities meant for children.

It is our right to enjoy these facilities, but it is also our duty to protect the machines as well as nature’s gift.

I recently read an interesting quote of India’s Father of Nation Mahatma Gandhi. “Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s needs, but not every man’s greed. What we are doing to the forests of the world is but a mirror reflection of what we are doing to ourselves and to one another.” 

I really wonder what gives people the right to ruin this beautiful planet of ours. Nature is not a place to visit. It is our home.

(Published in The Gulf Today on March 16, 2013)

1 comment: