Sunday 6 July 2014

Dearest dad

It was Father’s Day recently. I was very excited. It was a special day when I could tell my father how special he was to me, give him gifts and appreciate him for showering me with love and affection.

I planned many surprises for him. I bought a perfect gift for the perfect father, prepared a refreshing tea and baked a scrumptious and amazing cake. I wrote a beautiful poem. Trying to give him a surprise, I also decorated the room as much as I could.

This was my way of telling him how important he was in my life. He is the light of my life. It was an amazing day and one of the best memories of my life. My father was very happy and I too was satisfied to see my father happy and smiling.

The next day was just like any other day. I got up early in the morning, went to school and the rest moved on as usual.

On reaching school I told my friends about the special day and how I had planned so many surprises. They all were amazed. I recited  my poem too, which made them speechless.

Just then my close friend came and said, “And what did you do today? Your father is the same person even today and you are the same as you were yesterday. Then why don’t you celebrate Father’s Day today too?”

I began wondering at her words. True, why should we celebrate Father’s Day once a year? My father has not changed nor have I. Then what about the remaining 364 days? Should we not love our father on those days? Should we not make them happy every day?
(Published in The Gulf Today on June 21, 2014)

1 comment: