Sunday 6 July 2014

Delhi Charm





Delhi attracts millions of visitors every year who come from different parts of the world to explore various facets of the heritage sites located in different corners of the city. Luckily, I have visited all the sites in the city showcasing India’s glorious past, but the most fascinating to me was Humayun’s Tomb.

During my recent India trip, I decided to visit the site, once again.

It is quite surprising for every visitor who enters the huge compound to realise that the actual grave is located in the centre of the campus which is divided into four gardens. One may compare it only with the Taj Mahal, which is a big and beautiful tomb built by Mughal Emperor Shahjahan in the memory of his beloved wife, Mumtaz Mahal.

Humayun’s Tomb was built much earlier, in fact, the idea of Taj Mahal was derived from this tomb, as it was built by Emperor Humayun’s first wife.

As I went on further, I noticed that the restoration works were going on in full swing. Several craftsmen were busy carving and painting to give the original look to various parts of the historic site.

Later I came to know that the Aga Khan Trust for Culture in association with the Archaeological Survey of India carried out the restoration work. The preservation started only after it was declared as the Unesco World Heritage Site in 1993.




While returning, we passed by the famous Lotus Temple or the Baha’i House of Worship. This flower-like structure was amazing. A look at the petals gave the feel that it was smiling and inviting us. I couldn’t help admiring the architect of this wonderful house of worship. India’s national flower looked more beautiful when represented this way.

As I went inside, I was amazed by the brilliant inner architecture too. The peace and quietness was so soothing that I enjoyed even the birds chirping.

Although, it is only about 30 years old, this place is certainly going to be added to the list of India’s heritage sites.

I just wonder whether enough care will be taken to preserve this site from now on, so that it does not lose its sheen, and doesn’t need any restoration work to get back its glory, as is the case with Humayun’s Tomb.

 (Published in The Gulf Today on May 3, 2014)

1 comment: