Friday 27 November 2015

Bitten by the book bug



The majestic Sharjah International Book Fair is the best place for book lovers in the UAE. Literary celebrities from all over the world gather here in order to promote reading and also to inspire book lovers to go the extra mile.

During one of my visits, I met the famous Indian author, Durjoy Dutta. I was very pleased and considered myself lucky when I got a photo clicked with him. I was surprised to know that his first book was published when he was just 21 years old and he has written 11 books till now.

During one of his sessions at the book fair, Durjoy Dutta told the audience that he used to read something before sleeping. First it was a responsibility but later it became an addiction.

“Everyone must read a lot of books. My parents were also very encouraging and never stopped me from reading,” he said.

I realised that parents have the responsibility to inculcate the love for reading in a child. 

And it is quite common to see nowadays parents as well as the school faculty encourage children to develop the habit of reading good books. Reading is slowly developing as a hobby among youngsters.

I was thrilled to see a large number of young book lovers touring the stalls looking for titles that appeal them.

But I noticed something that put me off. Some of them were desperate to buy books of their choice but unfortunately couldn’t do so as their parents were not interested in books. 

I saw many of them bargaining for more discounts as they had very limited amount with  them. After befriending one of them, I came to know that their parents thought buying books was a waste of money. They were told to read books online instead.

Being a book lover, I know that smartphones are distractions. Although, you can buy eBooks, holding a smartphone you may start playing a game or chatting with your friends. On the contrary, while you have a book in your hand, it will attract you to the characters and their situation.

Durjoy Dutta was right when he said that the reading habit was declining. He felt that the main reason was the coming up of mobile phones.

(Published in The Gulf Today on November 14, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment