Friday 27 November 2015

Profession or passion?

Displaying WP_20151110_20_21_46_Pro.jpg

Saamia with Durjoy Dutta

Is writing just another job?Displaying WP_20151110_20_21_46_Pro.jpg

This question has been haunting me every since I met Durjoy Datta, one of the most popular contemporary Indian authors, during the recently-held Sharjah International Book Fair.

Interacting with the audience at one of the sessions, the celebrated author said, “I never had a writer’s block because I used to write something every day. Writing is just another job.”

Since then, I have been trying hard to convince myself that yes, writing is just another job, but failed. I remembered how often I had writer’s block and failed to find a cure for it.

However, I liked his opinion of developing a habit of writing something every day, as it would be helpful for all those who wish to become a good writer.

I remember a quote, “Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.”

Similarly, until and unless one starts to write he cannot understand what is useful for writing and what is not and what tricks are to be applied in a good piece of work.

But I do not think that writing is just another job. One is sometimes forced by others to complete their job, but no one can force you to write. The passion for writing comes from within and not by force.

If the writer does not have an interest in writing, the reader too shall lose the interest. Thus I feel that writing can be just another job only for those who are forced to write to earn their livelihood, not for those who have the passion for writing.

In other words, it can be a job for those who have adopted writing for commercial purposes. This is very much reflected in the recent trend of people leaving their lucrative jobs for writing books, mainly fiction, but failed to leave a lasting impression on the reader’s mind.

(Published in The Gulf Today on November 21, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment