Sunday 1 May 2016

Winner's Loss




As I sat on my writing table to pen down this week’s short take, my phone rang. It was a message on WhatsApp from my cousin, “What has reached you was never meant to miss you and what has missed you was never meant to reach you.”

Perplexed, I rang her to know what was going on in her mind.

Last night, she went to a get-together organized by her friends. To make the party more interesting, they decided to play a game. They put up ten gift packs, and started asking tricky questions. First person who answered correctly, would win a prize.

Fortunately my cousin gave a correct answer.

But the real difficulty came when she was asked to choose a number between one and ten to claim her prize, as there were gift boxes of various shapes and sizes with a number marked on it.

She said some random number. When she opened her gift, she realised it was a camera. She was overjoyed.

But it did not last long.

She got disappointed when she realised that other boxes had iPhone 6, iPad and laptop. She realised if she would have chosen a number after having a glance at the shapes and sizes of the boxes with various numbers, she could have been the luckiest person to hold an iPhone6.

She told me, “That camera is very expensive, but worthless for me. I am not a photography enthusiast. I feel like losing even after winning.”

This reminded me of a famous dialogue delivered onscreen by famous Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan in the movie ‘Baazigar,’ “Haar kar jeetney wale ko Baazigar kehte hain” (The one who wins after losing is the ultimate winner).

But I wonder what you will call someone who is overwhelmed by a sense of loss even after winning.

(Published in The Gulf Today on March 19, 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment