Sunday 1 May 2016

World of words

Asking me if I like reading is like asking me if I like breathing
Talking about classics, Mark Twain had once said, “Classic – a book which people praise and don’t read.”

Today I find the statement applicable in most of the cases. Most of the books just get dusty by resting on the shelf, unless it is prescribed in the syllabus, or it is a ledger book.

I am pleased to note that the UAE government has taken a great initiative by announcing the year 2016 as “Year of Reading” to promote reading and regain its lost uniqueness.

I feel privileged to be part of a country where education is given a high priority and whose government takes such an excellent step towards the promotion of reading. Thanks to this initiative, the diminishing habit of reading in our leisurely hours has become a hot topic of discussion in various circles. I hope it will bring significant changes in the society and people might start reading.

Reading is one such hobby that can contribute immensely in making any country a capital of knowledge. Modern governance ideas, new scientific inventions and many such things have been the product of reading. Reading opens our minds. Unfortunately, due to the addiction to all the new electronic gadgets, youngsters are getting farther from this beautiful world.

One must remember that whoever reads lives a thousand lives before dying. However, the one who never reads, can just live one life which too might turn out boring at a later stage.

(Published in The Gulf Today on February 27, 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment