Saturday 7 January 2017

Books in a Boat


Related image

 The 35th Sharjah International Bookfair has become a reader’s paradise, indeed. Housing over 1.5 million books is certainly a boon to avid readers.

I often wonder what would have been the scenario when the bookfair was first hosted in Sharjah 35 years ago. It would have been a daunting task to initiate the project and make continuous efforts to instill the love for printed words in the residents.

This reminds me of the noble initiative taken by an Indonesian man. Guided by the same spirit, he runs (in this case, sails) a boat library in the remote parts of the country. All along the way, distributing free books to children and novels to adults, inculcating the love of reading.

He just wanted to bring fun in the lives of others through books. To simply etch upon their faces, a beautiful smile.

I am sure there would have been limitations preventing him from taking the initiative. For, society is harsh that way. Judging you either way – when you help others and when you don’t.

I can imagine others persuading him to quit the plan.

“Oh, why would you leave your job for such a silly thing?”

“If I hadn’t known you better, I would have thought this is your way to gain popularity!”

“Well, I too had thought of it once. But you see, I am a family man. And so are you. My family depends on me. And so does yours. Then why would you leave them behind to fulfill the wishes of others.”

But he wouldn’t have let those talks sway his determination.

He would have said, “My family is satisfied. But others are not. My family is happy. But others are not. And neither am I. For, I would want to share my happiness with others.”

We should realise that a small step, like the one he took, can enlighten the lives of others. It would do no harm to us. All we have to do is feel. Feel their pain. Feel their sorrow. Feel what it feels when you are deprived of the bounties of life.

(Published in The Gulf Today on November 5, 2016)


No comments:

Post a Comment