Saturday 7 January 2017

It’s the spirit that counts

Image result for waking up happy clipart VSImage result for waking up sad clipart



Last night, as I was trying to sleep, my phone vibrated. It was a message from my friend – Those who are successful start their day differently. You too should plan something new for the next morning.

I pondered upon the message for quite some time. It wasn’t new for me. I have often heard people saying so. But I always beg to differ.

I believe it is the spirit with which you start your day that determines success, not the morning habits. Successful people don’t have a much different lifestyle.

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates spends two hours on the treadmill every morning. Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg loves to check his Facebook account. Howard Schultz, the owner of Starbucks, prefers taking his three dogs for a morning walk. Jeff Bezos, the CEO of Amazon.com, prefers having a family breakfast.

While many of us share their habits, we don’t follow their spirit.

Think about a common man: as the sunlight filters through the window curtains and the alarm clock echoes throughout the room, he would use a hand to cover up the yawn and think, “Today is going to be another boring day. I am already tired.” 

If that’s what you also think, then indeed, your day will be filled with weariness. 

But, that’s not how successful people start their day. The optimistic approach they have towards the new life differentiates them from us. They would rather think, “Today, my day is going to be perfect. It will be better than yesterday.”

It doesn’t matter whether you are an early bird or a night owl, whether you start your day by hopping online or diving into emails, whether you give priority to having a breakfast with your family, or exercising or sending kids to school.  It is, in fact, the spirit you have upon waking up that counts. 


(Published in The Gulf Today on December 10, 2016)

1 comment: