Friday 6 June 2014

Perfect politician

Since I was born and brought up in the UAE, I had never experienced the gigantic election process that takes place in India every five years. I had only heard about it from my parents and relatives. But for me it remained a boring talk, until I travelled to India recently, when the country was gripped by the election fever.

Surprisingly, I too got interested in politics. Perhaps, watching news on television or listening to everyone discussing about it changed my opinion. Wherever I went, to the market or a tourist place, or while travelling by bus or train, election was the most important matter for the people. I got a lot of time to have a look at the slogans, rallies and the hoardings on roads.

One thing that I specially noticed was speeches delivered by the politicians. Whether the rally was organised by the party in power or by the party in opposition, speeches remained the same, just the words were different.

“We will offer free education to all. We will provide security to women. We will help the poor and needy,” were what they always said.

I was also told that when elections come most of the candidates start supporting the poor. It was nothing but just a way to get maximum number of votes. After winning the elections, they simply forget their promises.

After acquiring so much knowledge on Indian politics, even I got inspired and thought of becoming a politician. I even prepared a speech in which I made a lot of promises.

“I am not going to be corrupt like many others. I would provide security to women. I would provide free education to poor. I would make a lot of developments. And the United Nations will give us the Veto power. Poor won’t remain poor. The economy will be very strong. And the time of my rule will be remembered as the Golden Era.”

“Oh, am I also sounding like the other politicians?”

(Published in The Gulf Today on April 19, 2014)

1 comment: