Friday 6 June 2014

Reader’s paradise

The walled city area of India’s capital city, Delhi, has a lot of historical landmarks — from the famous Red Fort to the majestic Jama Masjid. Every visitor makes a point to discover more about them. But during my recent trip to Delhi, I discovered a hidden treasure, which was nothing less than a reader’s paradise.

I wish to call it a Reader’s Paradise because this is a place where a reader would get the books of his choice at a very cheap price.

Known as the Sunday Market of Old Books, it is a makeshift bazaar along the pavements of the famous Darya Ganj in Old Delhi. Hundreds of booksellers set up their shops in a row – spreading from the historic Delhi Gate to Jama Masjid, selling many interesting books. From magazines suggesting interior decorations and architecture to books or academic purposes and from comics for children to popular and unique fiction and non-fiction works of famous and not-so-famous authors, one can get anything at a throwaway price.

The market, which runs from dawn to dusk every Sunday, remains crowded the whole day. I was happy to find a number of books of my choice, but I saw many people who had returned to the market in search of their favourite titles.

The first bookstall itself was so rich that I thought of buying every book displayed at the stall. But then I thought it would be better to have a look at other stalls too. By the time we reached the last bookstall and decided to pick up a cab to return home, I had 4-5 packets in my hands full as if going to tear.

It was a ‘Reader’s Paradise’ indeed.

(Published in The Gulf Today on April 12, 2014)

1 comment:

  1. i visited the market myself and bought a lot of books.....

    ReplyDelete