Thursday 15 October 2015

Fast fortifies faith



After 2008, this is the first time that Ramadan has fallen during the school days. I was expecting that there would be extra holidays. When it was announced that the school would remain open, I was curious to know how would one feel to be in school while he/she fasts.

Many thoughts came to my mind. Maybe some girls would be feeling dizzy and get sick while moving out under the scorching sun during the long school hours. Or maybe they will feel strong as they are worshipping Allah while fasting and trying to please Him.

But I convinced myself that we would not feel dizzy as Allah is very merciful and He gave us the will and determination to fast. It is a sign of Allah’s mercy that even the Knowledge and Human Development Authority, Dubai, has instructed all schools to operate from 8:30am till 1:30pm, which also motivated students for fasting.

Many of my friends were thinking how would they manage without feeling hungry or getting tempted while watching other girls eating. But I believe that is the main objective of keeping fasts for Allah -- to test how strong your faith is.

Even though fasting is allowed in almost all schools, a few schools in London have banned the Muslim pupils from fasting. They said fasting risks the health and education of children. It wasn’t even obligatory upon them as they were too young. This decision was disapproved by many Muslim groups and parents who believed that schools should not interfere in the matters of faith.

I also find myself against this idea. When I was young, I always wanted to keep the fast and wouldn’t like it when I was told that I am too young for it. I am feeling very sorry for them. They should be allowed to fast so that they come to realise the problems faced by the poor every day and also because their faith gets strengthened

(Published in The Gulf Today on June 20, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment