Thursday 15 October 2015

Nature’s law




Birth and death define the lifecycle. Whoever comes to this world, sooner or later, has to leave this mortal world. Despite being aware of this fact, everyone celebrates birth of a human being. Birth gives us joy, while death of a person makes us sad.

Today, I am writing about life and death because I have realised that expatriates live twice in the same lifecycle. An expat’s arrival into a foreign land brings joy to the family, and for the person it is like born again. Everything is new for him and he struggles to adjust himself/herself in a new place just like a growing child.

Similarly, his/her return to his native country makes his fellow expatriates sad, as if he had come to settle down in the foreign land and no one had expected his return to the native land. I used to wonder why, because everyone who goes to a country for work or business knows he has permission to stay for a limited period and he has to return, sooner or later.

But, I came across this situation recently when my uncle’s family returned to India after spending about 20 years in this country. It was painful to part with them, although I knew that they are here for a limited period, just like me. And there was hope to see them again during my visit to India.

Yesterday I was at the airport to receive my aunt, who has come here to work with a multi-national company. It was a joyous occasion. I celebrated it like addition of a new member in the family. I promised her all the help in settling down in a new place.

I was wondering at the nature’s law, if it takes something, it gives something back, too.

(Published in The Gulf Today on April 25, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment