Thursday 28 August 2014

Friends forever

“A friend in need is a friend in deed” is an age-old saying. But nowadays many people say that it’s not easy to find a true friend and that friendship between two people is short-lived. Friends leave as soon as their interests are fulfilled.  

Some of the observations made by modern-day thinkers still ring in my mind. One writer observed that friends are like balloons, if they are left to go once, you won’t get them again. He also believed that friends are like a cup of coffee, warm but sweet and bitter at the same time. And also compared friends with air – “precious, always there and priceless.”

 Someone has rightly said, “Friends are like money, easier to make than keep.” So true indeed! I realised that we should make friends and care for the special relationship.

 Friendship Day has been celebrated with joy and happiness all over the world. While Friendship Day for everyone is celebrated on the first Sunday of August, the third Sunday of August (tomorrow) is celebrated as the Women’s Friendship Day.

My Friendship Day is dedicated to my sister-like friend. When I joined the new school, I was alone. I didn’t know anyone, thus felt shy to talk to my fellow students. Then she gave a helping hand. She invited me to her group. She gave me confidence. She introduced me to everyone. To make me cheerful she gave me gifts on such special days. She has a big contribution in my life. I don’t know what would have happened if she wasn’t there with me. I will never forget her all my life.

A Happy Women’s Friendship Day to you and to my sister-like friend too.

(Published in The Gulf Today on August 16, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment