Thursday 28 August 2014

Mobile manners

You got to praise both of them

Nowadays praising the features of one’s mobile phone has become a social etiquette. Many people keep buying mobile phones of the latest model in order to show off. Many a time, if you don’t admire or comment on the new phone, they might get irritated. 

I realised this when one of my aunts visited us. When I asked about her new cellphone, she explained every feature in detail, and stopped only with a comment about her neighbour.

“My new neighbour is very ill-mannered and backward,” she said. 

Explaining, she said, “When I went to her house to have ‘a pleasant talk,’ she didn’t ask anything about my new phone. Instead she kept talking about my family all the time.”

 There I realised that, it is fine if you don’t ask someone about his family. But you shouldn’t forget to ask about the features of his/her new mobile phone and the deal he/she got it for. 

 I have also noticed that if someone keeps his mobile in his pocket, it means that he owns a very old phone. Because, no one keeps a Dhs3,000 worth phone in a pocket. So if your guest keeps his phone prominently on the table and keeps checking it every other moment, it needs your instant attention (read admiration.)

Whatever be the cost or the type of the mobile, you have to praise everyone for their choice. I have noticed that many people change their words according to the situation. 

 If the mobile’s cost is below Dhs500, they would say, “This is a good choice. Why to waste money on mobiles.” 

If the price revolves around Dhs1,000, they would say, “It’s a good choice. Your phone has got every feature that a costly phone will have. Why spend more.”

If the mobile costs above Dhs3,000, they would say, “You only know the true meaning of life. We spend so much time with mobiles, why shouldn’t we spend on it?”

Watch out when you meet a friend with a new phone. 

(Published in The Gulf Today on August 9, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment