Thursday 28 August 2014

Power of humour

Jokers make us laugh even when we are quite disturbed. I was awestruck when I read about Joker’s Week, to be celebrated from Aug.1 to Aug.7. I was surprised because so far I had heard about various DAYS celebrated on special occasions like Father’s Day, Mother’s Day, Children’s Day, Republic Day, Independence Day. But here, there is a celebration for the clowns, which will last an entire week.

However, I changed my thoughts soon. Why should the news surprise anyone? They well deserve it. After all they prove themselves a fool just to make us laugh and to earn their bread and butter. I can understand that making others laugh is not an easy work. It would be too hard for me if someone asks me to make a crying person laugh. That’s exactly what the jokers do.

In the past, people have shown their respect to jokers in different ways. Many movies have highlighted their life and the hardships they have to suffer. One example can be India’s great showman the late Raj Kapoor’s hit movie “Mera Naam Joker.” The movie has portrayed the life of a clown who must make his audience laugh, despite deep sorrows in his life. After all, they must follow their motto  — “the show must go on.”

Charlie Chaplin made this art more popular through movies. He did similar things that a clown does in real life to make us laugh. Everyone’s favourite Mr Bean too has made great efforts. How can a child forget Ronald McDonald, the famous clown character used as the primary mascot of the McDonald’s fast-food restaurant chain?

I was sad to read that the number of people opting for this profession is on the decline, just because they are considered a laughing stock. People shouldn’t forget that “Humour is serious business.”

(Published in The Gulf Today on August 2, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment