Monday 16 March 2015

Inspiring fair

Inspiring Fair...Sharjah Book Fair
Have you ever noticed a galaxy of stars walking on the earth?

No?

Well, I have noticed at the 33rd Sharjah International Book Fair where literary celebrities from various parts of the world came to inspire the booklovers. 

I am happy that the fair saw the largest Indian participation in its history. My idols Chetan Bhagat and author Shashi Tharoor, who have authored many literary books, were among the guests from India. The list of prominent writers included Amitav Ghosh, Shiv Khera, Amish Tripathi, Sugathakumari and actress Manju Warrier to name a few.

I was greatly inspired by the speech of Shashi Tharoor as he narrated his journey and recalled that his parents never encouraged him to become a full-time writer, yet he is a world-famous writer. 

I am proud that we have something in common. I am also an avid fan of Enid Blyton, I too finish the book even before reaching home from library and I too have the passion for writing. 

Another Indian author, Amitav Ghosh, has motivated me to continue writing. His words always ring in my ears, “Writing is an act of imagination. When students are not paying attention and are day-dreaming, they are using their imagination — that is also a part of their education.”

Shashi Tharoor, Amitav Ghosh, Shiv Khera, Amish Tripathi, and many other writers stimulated the minds of thousands of students during their meets at the book fair.

Though today, the book fair is concluding, I feel satisfied as I have learnt a lot and have been very inspired. I am proud that I am a resident of Sharjah. And I would surely like to visit the Sharjah book fair, not as an audience but as a Guest of Honour with thousands of fans sitting in front of me. 

(Published in The Gulf Today on November 15, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment