Monday 16 March 2015

Meeting deadlines

Can't think of anything...

During my free times, I love to surf the Net and look for inspirational quotes of famous personalities. Not just because they inspire me a lot. I love to read them as most of the time I realise they reflect feelings of the common masses, while sometimes they make observations much ahead of their times. Many times I have realised that their observations were quite true even in the contemporary scenario.

But today I want to talk about two quotes that left me pondering over the importance of “deadline” in life.

Famous English author Douglas Adams once said, “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”

While Charles Bukowski, a German-born American poet, novelist, and short story writer, was once quoted as saying: “Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I’m not going to make it, but you laugh inside remembering all the times you’ve felt that way.” 

Both these quotes have been proved correct in my life. 

I have been writing short takes for over three years, yet there are times when I don’t get any topic to write, till I reach the deadline, almost. 

After reading these famous authors’ observations, I have realised that actually I too enjoy doing things at the last moment, although I know that the habit of postponing your duty till the last moment is not good.

Maybe because I too have gone through Charles Bukowski’s experiences. While reading his above-mentioned observation, I realised that he wrote about people like me.

By now, you must have guessed correctly. Yes, once again I was unable to write a short take for this week, but finally managed this before meeting the deadline.

(Published in The Gulf Today on February 28, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment