Saturday 30 November 2013

Youth icon

Since childhood, I had always been listening from my grandparents, parents and other relatives about Sachin Tendulkar. Everyone used to cheer when he would come on to the field. They used to say, “Sachin made a century. Hurray! Well done Sachin.”

At that time I thought that no one else played cricket other than Sachin, because no one spoke about any other cricketer except him. I grew up listening to his name. One of my cousins was a big fan of him and used to imitate Sachin’s shots. He also had won many trophies and medals during his school days.

I am also a big fan of him. And today I am very saddened to know that India’s pride is playing his last innings.

Though there had been many great Indian batsmen before Tendulkar, like Merchant or Gavaskar, and their game was based on techniques, Tendulkar displayed power and control. He was a magnificent attacking batsman, who throttled the bowlers.

He is one of the best cricketers in the history of the game who scored more runs and more centuries than any other cricketer.

Many other cricketers like Shane Warne or Kapil Dev were as great as him, but I feel that no other player earned name and fame like Sachin.

Though he was a little man he stood up against the best fast bowlers of his time.

Tendulkar also appealed to the ordinary Indians because of his humility. I consider him as India’s best youth icon.

I can’t forget the quote of Allan Donald, “For cricket, Sachin is Maradona and Pele put together. Cricket will be a poorer sport when he quits the game. He is the first name that comes to mind the moment you ask who is the greatest.”

(Published in The Gulf Today on November 16, 2013) 

1 comment:

  1. i m sachin's big fan and thanx to write on him!!!!

    ReplyDelete